Saturday, May 22, 2010

These Snickerdoodles Are Sublime




WOLFFIE'S SNICKERDOODLES
p. 215 LDV
Prepared 4/29/2010


Generally at this point in my life, I am all in favor of as few steps as possible in one's baking process. So I was prepared to feel resentful about the extra work involved in the snickerdoodle process-- namely the rolling of dough into balls and then rolling into sugar. But for some reason, it seems pleasant and meditative. I wonder if it isn't because I used to make these with my mom and of course had the important job of rolling the dough into the cinnamon sugar mix? And the cookies? DELICIOUS! Really well done, great recipe. Please bake.

Weirdly, I've seen snickerdoodles around a lot more in the last couple of years, maybe part of the embracing many things retro? Then the other day, I suffered the social distress known as Snickerdoodle Backlash. Some women with whom I was speaking told me that they'd never had them, didn't think they sounded all that appealing, saved all of their dessert calories for chocolate and didn't get why everyone was making such a fuss over them. To which I thought (you know what is coming!), "more for me." I will say that they are just like my grandma (and mom) used to make. And I am dead serious if I tell you to slightly underbake them and then serve them warm with vanilla coconut milk ice cream.

No comments: