Thursday, December 07, 2006

Thanksgiving, Somewhat Later-- But No Less Thankful

I've been away from my home- and therefore my computer and kitchen- for the last little bit. I have some reviews from Thanksgiving, though. I had a lovely one, and I remain thankful for my wonderful friends and family, good health, and my loyal blog readers!



CRANBERRY APPLE CRISP
LDV p. 234
Prepared 11/23/06

We are fortunate to get a box of produce delivered to us a couple of times per month...a time and sanity-saving measure. The day before Thanksgiving, our box contained fresh cranberries and apples. I had just seen this recipe. Fate.

As you will recall, I don't eat cooked fruit, but the males of the home made short work of half of this crisp, which I actually made for breakfast. Both of them said it was deeeeeeeelicious (in their own ways, of course), as did my lovely quasi-mother-in-law, who visited us the next day. It was easy and fun to make, and smelled divine during the baking process. I am going to recommend this!

Now, what would a very small family, whose membership is comprised of an omnivore and vegetarians, have for a Thanksgiving meal? Those of you shouting, "PIZZA IN THE SHAPE OF A TURKEY!" are correct.



PIZZA CRUST
LDV p. 301
Prepared 11/23/06

I got kinda into making this dough, it was a fun thing to do on our mellow TG day. "It turned out to be really good, even though it was in the shape of a turkey and the dough wasn't even throughout. It was also really easy to work with and didn't rip the way other doughs sometimes do."

Recommend? "Yeah!"





And for dessert...I made a pie featuring a homemade pie crust-- my second pie!

NUTTY PIE CRUST
GOV p. 196
Prepared 11/23/06

S. Kramer and T. Barnard told me that this was nutty and spiced, but I didn't really taste these flavors in the crust. My tastebuds were trying, though. It was pretty easy to make, and it seemed to be better after having a pie filling in it for a couple of days. I feel like if I can do it, so can you. You may prefer cooked fruit in it, though...I chose chocolate.



DEATH BY CHOCOLATE PIE
GOV p. 194
Prepared 11/23/06

Very simple, smooth, really a nice treat as we don't indulge in pies very often. It was devoid of any weirdo soy flavor-- a concern of my partner given that a full package of tofu is a major part of the ingredient list. It wasn't overwhelmingly chocolatey, just nicely balanced. Go for it!

No comments: