Monday, May 14, 2007

A Vegan Meal At Mom And Dad's (And They Lived To Tell The Tale)

I love my folks, but they have a hard time with vegetarianism. My mom, for instance, only eats a very, very, very few types of produce. Sigh. Anyway, I happed upon a recipe in LDV that stated it was a good choice for omnivores (er, those of them who like mushrooms...my parents fall into that catagory, my partner does not). And so I made us the soup, and a bread besides. My guess is that the bread is still residing in my parents' freezer.




ON GOLDEN POND MUSHROOM SOUP
p. 105 LDV
Prepared 2/25/07

This was really good, we all ate it up. I wish that it had made more- I actually thinned it a bit with some soy milk to stretch it. I will love making it again come colder weather (and an encounter with a mushroom eater!). I'll probably double the recipe next time.

CUMIN SPICED QUICK BREAD
p. 267 LDV
Prepared 2/25/07

I really liked this bread, it was cumin-y without being overwhelming and very dense...just right for soup-dunking. Another recipe that will be repeated!

But what of my poor partner, studying so hard for a certain exam that had taken so much of his (and others', names not mentioned) time and energy? What is he, chopped Oy-Vey Mock Liver?

No, Gentle Reader, he was supplied with a soup of his own.

BLACK BEAN TORTILLA CHIP SOUP WITH AVOCADO TOMATO SALSA
p. 123 LDV
Prepared 2/25/07

This was good, I had some...but can you really go wrong with a black bean soup? Experience tells me no.

We thought that it needed more flavor but that it was very good with the toppings. I had no carrots or celery so I substituted some cabbage and cauliflower (random, but healthy!) and also added scallions.



No comments: