Sunday, January 28, 2007

Delightful Chapati and Curry Night


A great friend of mine recently made chapatis for her family and told me that they were quite straightforward and satisfying to make. So when we had company, I thought I would bust one of the multiple chapati recipes out of the series and try them.

COCONUT CURRIED VEGGIES
p. 161 LDV
Prepared 1/20/07

CHAPATI FLAT BREAD
p. 267 LDV
Prepared 1/20/07

This was a really good meal. The curry was straightforward, simple and tasty. I added extra veggies and omitted the rice to serve over couscous (next time, I will just use the rice!). I also used garbanzo beans instead of kidney beans. No matter. The real excitement came in making the chapatis. They were, as my friend promised, straightforward to make, and really yummy. We made ours out of mainly whole wheat flour because that is what was on hand at the time, they came out great. I disagree with the instruction to put margarine on them as they come off the grill-- the margarinized breads were too greasy for my tastes (others in my party disagreed, though). However, this was a great recipe and I am so happy I made them. It was essentially like making a more structured pancake to have with your curry. Deeeelish.

No comments: