Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A Very Vegan Thanksgiving


Our menu featured a really fabulous nut/lentil loaf from The Vegan Lunchbox's Magic Loaf Studio (heh heh, that makes me laugh, I cannot help it, yes I am 35 years old), mashed potatoes, miso gravy (previously reviewed), corn from a can (my darling loves it so), roasted brussels sprouts that I heard Mollie Katzen blah blah blahing about on NPR (they were tasty), a little sauce I whipped up because, sometimes gravy isn't enough and for dessert: DAH DAH DAH...chocolate pecan mini pies/tarty things. Phewsh. Oooh, and some Silk nog, I couldn't resist. It had my son discussing nutmeg for days! Anyway, my omnivorian partner declared this the best Thanksgiving dinner he had ever had in his life. Oh!

EASY BREEZY CHEEZY SAUCE
p. 79 HIAV
Prepared 11/22/07

I intended that this sauce would be served over the brussels sprouts, but the sprouts were much better on their own. I wasn't really in love with this sauce but that doesn't mean that you might not enjoy it. It was pretty easy to make.

FUDGE PECAN PIE
p. 256 LDV
Prepared 11/22/07

I had an idea that this would be great as mini-pies. Lacking mini-pie/true tart pans, we Earth Balance-d up our ramekins. I chopped the pecans because the halves were a little much in the mini version. We ended up baking our pielets for between 15-30 min longer (we took them out at different times) than the directions called for, which actually seems counterintuitive. The ones we took out in the 15 minutes over range were the best, the other one was a bit burnt. This was an amazing pie recipe, I don't even really like pies much but must admit that it was rad.




2 comments:

Michelle said...

that lady on the NPR link scares me

poorlittlefish said...

I found that Fudge Pecan Pie needed a lot more cooking too. I took mine out after an hour and it was still gooey in the middle. I wondered if it needed more flour, maybe the recipe ingredients had an error but I've not found anything online to confirm this (searching for that is I found this site!).