Sunday, October 29, 2006

Desserts That Don't 100% Rock


BANANA OATMEAL COOKIES
p. 137 HIAV
Prepared 10/18/06

As long-time readers know, I don't really care for banana and so I didn't sample these myself. The reaction that I got to them was mainly lukewarm, even from my son, who until this batch was made, was generally not really allowed many sweets (these cookies were apparently the gateway baked good to him eating many more desserts) and therefore possibly had lower standards. Additionally, the recipe indicates that it makes 6 large or 12 small cookies, and I made at least double that off of the non-doubled recipe. They seem like a good and fairly healthy treat, though, for kids and others who like (er, or tolerate) banana, oats and raisins in the same cookie.


MAPLE WALNUT BROWNIES
p. 134 HIAV
Prepared 10/19/06

Undaunted by the tepid reaction my cookies had received the day before, I made these brownies with higher hopes. After all, they have chocolate in them.

They were...ok. Not bad, but I am not going to race to make them again. After the first day, the maple flavor had nearly completely dissipated, and despite my having added extra chocolate chunks (leftover semi-sweet baking chocolate), my partner characterized these brownies as "somewhat chalky." I agree. I cannot in good conscience give these a high rating.

No comments: