Sunday, October 29, 2006

Dip Dip Spread, Part 2...And My First Pie!



We held a pumpkin carving party over the weekend, and I was thereby offered another opportunity to try out different dip/spread recipes. These also came out well, and I would have made others but needed to be a bit realistic about how much I could do in the kitchen whilst juggling guests, housework (our home was entirely rearranged and upheaved just prior to the party's commencement), a child, pumpkins, knives etc. So I settled upon...

ARTICHOKE & BLACK BEAN DIP
p. 129 GOV
Prepared 10/28/06

Easy peasy, and yummy! The directions call for all of the ingredients to be blended in a food processor and the artichoke hearts tossed in at the end, however, I just chucked them right in and blended them as well. It was very good, and many pumpkin carvers said so.

PUMPKIN SEED PARMESAN SPREAD??
p. ?? HIAV
Prepared 10/28/06

Two important notes: 1. The pages are falling out of my HIAV like mad and I can't find the page that has this recipe on it! I will report back with the full identifying information when the page is found. 2. I really couldn't find soy parmesan cheese at the stores, so I made this with the actual parmesan cheese we had in our fridge. This is not really in keeping with what I want to do generally with the blog, which is make things MORE vegan rather than less, but that is what I did here. I will maintain my diligent search for soy parmesan and post a new review when I can make this fully vegan.

It is super green, garlicky and delicious! Chock full of spinach, it was reminiscent of pesto in many ways because of the strong garlic flavor. Received many complements on it!

Not from the books, but also pictured are pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, made from this recipe (thanks Julia!!). I veganized the tasty morsels-- for that they were-- by using margarine instead of butter and corn starch instead of eggs. Recommend, by the way!!

And now, for the tale of the pie...

There is no major tale, actually. The whole thing was extremely simple to make and, I was told, awesome. (At the risk of sounding like someone who doesn't like a lot of things, which is not true, I don't like pie unless it is chocolate) I made a graham cracker pie crust and had optional vanilla topping. I must recommend this highly based on the major amount of positive feedback I received.




GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
p. 141 HIAV
Prepared 10/28/06

This was fabulously effortless, much to the dismay -- I'm sure -- of the Keebler elves, whose graham cracker crusts I will no longer buy, because...why bother? I will make this again, absolutely.

PERFECT PUMPKIN PIE
p. 142 HIAV
Prepared 10/28/06

So simple, it truly is like taking candy from a baby. I used corn starch, natch, as my egg replacer. I cooked this pie for 15 minutes or so longer than the recipe suggested as my centre was quite unfirm when I checked on it at both 30 and 40 minutes, but I think we can agree that was likely due to my wonky oven.



SOY MILK WHIPPED CREAM
p. 151 HIAV
Prepared 10/28/06

This is not whipped cream, I will be honest with you. I can tell you that because I know from soy whipped cream thanks to the highly trained baristas at Java Green. However, I will tell you that this is a perfectly good dessert topping that is sweet and rich.


Go forth and make this yummy pie!

No comments: