Saturday, October 07, 2006

He Chose Not To Eat Cake...




This past weekend, my son turned two. (Insert comment on time flying, etc.) His party had about 20 people in attendance and to help add to the celebratory mood, I made the VANILLA CAKE from HIAV (p. 147) and iced it with the CREAM CHEESE FROSTING (p. 199) from GOV. Many complements were recieved, which was slightly surprising because it was presented in conjunction with my favorite cake EVER (yellow, with chocolate frosting). Tough choice.

The vanilla cake is a simple and excellent recipe. I have made this cake a number of times, and am nearly always happy with it. It is very dense and...er, cakey...really unlike the cake mixes from a box. I used cornstarch as my egg replacer and doubled the recipe so that I would have two layers as the recipe only makes one layer.

I altered the cream cheese frosting recipe by adding lime zest, freshly squeezed lime juice and a little soy milk. To compensate for the extra liquid, I added some more powdered/confectioner's/10X sugar.

I also made this cake for a friend's birthday earlier this year, and, now that I am thinking about it, also for my baby's dada for his birthday as well (though with chocolate mint frosting). Pictured are all three cakes, with the wee lad's on top.

In the end, the birthday boy opted not to have cake at all. Taking advantage of the lax supervision that occasionally occurs during birthday parties, he was found with a large spoon in one hand and a large container in the other, happily scooping ice cream into his smiling maw.

No comments: