Saturday, October 07, 2006

Sweet Potato Corn Bread and Lentil Soup

For the boy's birthday party extravaganza, his dad and I prepared parallel meals: mine was vegan, his wasn't. The menu was chili, corn bread and salad. For those who might not have been feeling chili, I whipped up some lentil soup. For both recipes, I hit HIAV.

AUNTIE BONNIE'S LIVELY LENTIL STEW
p. 63 HIAV
Prepared 9/30/06

Easy, warm and good. I followed the recipe nearly exactly, though omitted the parsley because I had none. The toddlers liked it-- they had an early preview of it during their lunchtime on the day of the party.


SWEET POTATO CORN BREAD
p. 125 HIAV
Prepared 10/01/06

Very delicious! Its sweeter than I might have normally made it (there is added sweetener) but really was a great accompaniment to our soup/chili selection.

Instead of cooking and mashing my own sweet potato, I used the equivalent amount of organic sweet potato baby food. I only did this as a time saving device, I have no problem with baking a potato and mashing it up during times of less baking freneticness. I used cornstarch as the egg replacer.

I highly recommend these recipes!


IMPORTANT UPDATE! I was advised several days later that the parsley actually was purchased for this recipe. Due to the hustle/bustle inherent in preparing a meal for 20, I didn't see it. In the words of William, my bad.

No comments: