Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Oh, Hi Memory Lane




RUSTIC QUINOA & YAM SALAD
p. 93 GOV
Prepared 9/19/2008

CURRIED LENTILS
p. 159 GOV
Prepared 9/19/2008


In the lovely community in which I used to live, when families have babies (or other life-altering events), their friends, family and neighbors rally around to support the parents. This is an amazing thing to witness and be a part of. (I know it would have really transformed my own experience as a new mother if I had had that type of very broad loving support instead of it resting squarely on the shoulders of a select few.) The biggest manifestation of this support in my ex-community is to set up calendars and provide interested parties with the opportunities to feed the family.

It came to be my turn to do this for a friend who had recently had a second baby, and I decided to make extra for another friend who was due -at that point - at any time with her second child. I wanted to make as much nutrient dense food as I could for these mamas. I have to say that the lentils were tasty and all but sort of pedestrian, while the quinoa salad was outstanding! I loved it (it was our dinner too) and still can vividly recall eating it on that warm September night a year and a half ago after delivering the meals to my friends. The funniest thing is that the pregnant friend was in the throes of giving birth while I was preparing the meal and ended up having my meal be her first post-partum meal, which I still feel strangely honored by.

I miss you, Leah and Ivy-- and Anya and Stella!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I shall try these recipes and see what little Anya thinks of them now that she can eat it all first hand! Big big thanks. Those meals were the best.

Leah said...

Well Leah said it, not Mira. Though I'm sure Mira will love to help me cook!