Friday, March 26, 2010

Soupah. And Breaddy.



TANYA & MATTHEW'S THAI COCONUT MILK SOUP
p. 85 GOV
Prepared 3/25/2010

CORIANDER BREAD
p. 168 GOV
Prepared 3/25/2010


The soup: good, but not amazing. I almost feel as if I am going to go through the trouble of procuring lemongrass and galangal, it should be amazing! This soup felt like a lot of work for a less than rock-your-socks outcome. For example, you have to brown the tofu with some scallions and sometimes multiple steps can bring me down. I liked the lime flavor and mild but pervasive spiciness. The coconut milk was a nice creamy base but thats a lot of coconut milk in there! I made a number of changes including using less lemongrass, jarred galangal, omitting the mushrooms and adding red peppers instead, substituting spinach for bok choy and using a jalepeno instead of multiple serranos. I also didn't have lime leaves so I zested a lime upon advice from someone who I know knows her eats. I also threw in leftover rice noodles because I had them and it was tasty that way.

The bread: because of the different spices (cinnamon, coriander, ginger, cloves), this bread tricks you into thinking that its sweeter than it is. Its quite dense and one taster said he thought it would make excellent cinnamon toast...I was thinking it would be great for french toast. This is NOT a quick bread and should not be attempted unless one has a couple of hours to hang out.

No comments: