Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Quest For A Delicious Brownie, Part 1



DECADENT BROWNIES
p. 191 GOV
Prepared 3/15/2010


I love eating a plant-based diet. I am totally in love with it. I want to marry my diet. I feel great. I am in line with my values in a way that many people are not. I am so happy together, just me and my plant-based diet. Rahr. But I also love an ooey, gooey, fudgey brownie. And that is the honest truth. I miss an ooey, gooey fudgey brownie. I've had some commercial vegan brownies that were not bad. I've made some that, well, didn't 100% rock. So I have several recipes in hand and I'm going to bake, eat and review them all.

First up, this recipe, conveniently from GOV. I have to say...not baaaaaaaaaaaaaad, but very cakey. Very very very cakey. Not fudgey, and not much ooey gooeyness -- and what little there was really came from the handful of chocolate chips I chucked in. But the thing is that my fellow adult taster said, "the first vegan brownie I've ever had that I wouldn't mind having seconds of. It tastes like a very delicious cake. Its not chalky or gross." Yes, thats right. Over three years after I made brownies that didn't 100% rock, he still remembered how bad and "chalky" they were.

So score one for the Decadent Brownies and add a few more hit points to the others.

No comments: